Bun's Miscellaneous

Bun's Miscellaneous
The third of my sites. My first site is personal, the second about the pub, this site is for anything that takes my fancy..

My Music

http://www.last.fm/user/BynTyElise/library

Friday 31 January 2014

A reply

This is my reply to Christian Saunders below: The English language evolves because it doesn't have a base; there's no 'English' dictionary, it's just called that, it's a book of latin, greek and german. French doesn't have a base, but the opposite of English they've deliberately stopped their language evolving by acts of Parliament with the 'Acadamie Francaise' looking after this part of French culture. If language is not central to cultural or national identity then why do you think that the first thing that the oppressors do is to re-educate their subjects to the new foreign language and that one of the first acts, as in the Baltic States, is to throw out the language of the oppressors, Russian in their case, French and English in mine. Of course it's central to our culture and our nationhood otherwise Acts of Parliament wouldn't have been passed to ban them being taught, anyway it's all in the past now that we are capable of being bi-lingual and that our oppressors are hopefully becoming more enlightened. Christian Saunders: Welsh is indeed a very old and beautiful language, but linguistics is not central to cultural or national identity. language as an entity is constantly evolving. I'll give you an example. When I worked in China I met a rather pompous Englishman in a bar, who thought he was extremely clever by dropping a few Welsh words in the conversation, which he had learned online. Admittedly, I had no idea what some of them meant. But does that make this guy more 'Welsh' than me? Because he knew a few more words in Welsh? Categorically, no. I was born in Wales, and so were my parents and grand parents. I spent the first 27 years of my life there. That is worth much more than visiting a website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Annie Ebrel & Nolwen le Buhe

Latest Football Matches

Welsh sports

Merthyr's Finest: The Film

Howard Winstone

http://www.boxing.com/howard_winstone_idol_of_merthyr.html

Jean-Claude Dreyfus, and Merzhin au bar Ty Elise

Amazon

Katelsong

Our World; We are responsible for our children and our childrens' children

Music in Breizh/Bretagne

The Three Tenors

The Thistle & Shamrock; Welsh Roots

Too much Love can Kill You

Natalie, my favourite actress by far

Tribute to Natalie Wood

Elvis - Treat Me Nice

Elvis & Marilyn

Mahalia's Tribute to Elvis

Mahalia Jackson

Brigitte

Marilyn v. Brigitte

Pelé v. Maradonna

John Charles

John Charles

Denis Law

George Best

25 of the Best

Real Madrid

Barbarians v. All Blacks 1973 - That Try

Try of the Century?

French Rugby Tries

Inspirational Moments

Clips

Funniest Commercials

Evene

Followers

Blog Archive