Bun's Miscellaneous

Bun's Miscellaneous
The third of my sites. My first site is personal, the second about the pub, this site is for anything that takes my fancy..

My Music

http://www.last.fm/user/BynTyElise/library

Sunday 14 March 2010

Live On, Learn On.

Last night, I was reading 'Land of my Fathers', the English translation of Gwynfor Evans's 'Aros Mae' for the second time. It hadn't previously struck me that my maternal grandmother's family farm was named after Brychan Brycheiniog's mother, Marchell. It was in Llanstephan, in the old Radnorshire between Builth, Brecon & Hay , and the nearest villages were Boughrood, Llandeilo Graban & Llyswen. Coincidentally she left at the end of the 19th c. to move to Merthyr, the town that took it's name from Marchell's grand daughter Tydfil, and where they both died. I never made the connection, and as far as I know, neither did she. Also last night as I was reading Edgar Allan Poe's 'MS. Found in a Bottle' I came across the name Batavia, having vaguely heard of it but knowing nothing about it; I let it pass and eventually fell asleep. The following morning I switched on the television to some obscure channel and incredibly they were showing an old black & white programme featuring Batavia, so I took hold of a Larousse encyclopaedia and learned that it was the former name of Djakarta, and in case you are wondering, I have one book in the bedroom and another in a private place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Annie Ebrel & Nolwen le Buhe

Latest Football Matches

Welsh sports

Merthyr's Finest: The Film

Howard Winstone

http://www.boxing.com/howard_winstone_idol_of_merthyr.html

Jean-Claude Dreyfus, and Merzhin au bar Ty Elise

Amazon

Katelsong

Our World; We are responsible for our children and our childrens' children

Music in Breizh/Bretagne

The Three Tenors

The Thistle & Shamrock; Welsh Roots

Too much Love can Kill You

Natalie, my favourite actress by far

Tribute to Natalie Wood

Elvis - Treat Me Nice

Elvis & Marilyn

Mahalia's Tribute to Elvis

Mahalia Jackson

Brigitte

Marilyn v. Brigitte

Pelé v. Maradonna

John Charles

John Charles

Denis Law

George Best

25 of the Best

Real Madrid

Barbarians v. All Blacks 1973 - That Try

Try of the Century?

French Rugby Tries

Inspirational Moments

Clips

Funniest Commercials

Evene

Followers

Blog Archive